Friday, October 9, 2009

Whew!

I have working like a dog to get books ready to send off to magazines for possible publication. I am almost finished with my Jabberwocky book, one more page to embroider and then put the book together by the Oct. 15 deadline. Since returning from VA I have started teaching 8th grade language arts, sold our house and moved into an apartment and made almost 3 new books.
This is the rather "fat" book I made for April to chronicle our trip to upstate NY last October. It is made primarily from fabric and incorporates many of the souvenirs we picked up while there. It features the photos taken by April. We visited Cooperstown, Cazenovia, and Chittenango as well as Hamilton, Sangerfield, and of course Madison. The leaves were gorgeous as was the weather. We had a small family reunion the last day we were there visiting.
This is the cover: the colors of the book were chosen to work with the photo of the two of us at Grandma's house

A postcard featuring my alma mater, the leaves, and a feather:

A mini "nom, nom, nom" book with a pic of Grandma making bread. The book has take out menus from the restaurants we visited:

One of my favorite spreads showing my father's grave stone, the church in which Dave and I were married, and my sister and me walking through town:

There is a story behind this spine! I made the original cover at the same time I made each of the page spreads but by the time I was finished with the book the cover was way too small, so I split the spine, added some hand-dyed fabric, and re-stitched the blanket stitch on the edges. The book is about 3 inches thick! I'll be sending this along with my brown nature book to Art Quilting Studio to see if they want to publish them in their March 2010 issue. Keep your fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this beauty in real life, and while these photos are nice, they do not even begin to cover how amazing this book is. It left me speechless and wanting to make something this amazing. YOU rocked this one out of the park, Pens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doll! I was so happy to see you blogging! I love the book and April is so fortunate to have you for her Mom. What a wonderful keepsake. I would love to see you sometime!!!

    ReplyDelete