Friday, November 4, 2011

Wire Work

I was lucky enough to win a spot in Deryn Mentock's The Build Zone class through Create Mixed Media and LOVE it! I have dabbled in jewelry in the past basically stringing beads which I enjoyed, but working with silver and copper wire is fantastic. Deryn is a fabulous teacher and I have learned so much from this class. Hammering and torching, baby! I learned to patina wire with liver of sulfur which gives the wire work character. Fun stuff. I don't plan to use these techniques for jewelry as this point, I want to make charms and findings to incorporate into my journals and books. I love to surf Pinterest and get even more ideas. I'm drawn to the spirals and love making them on headpins. (Who knew you could actually MAKE eyepins and headpins?!!!!) I love to make something that you would normally buy!
Here are some of the items I made to begin with:
A spiral headpin from silver wire that I patinaed (sp?)
I saw a gorgeous mixed media tassel on Pinterest. Here's my version:
A close-up of some of the wire work:
And lastly, I worked on S links today. Since my round nose pliers are different than Deryn's I had to figure out the proper length of wire. I plan to use these as a closure on the journal I am making right now. Look for them later!

No comments:

Post a Comment